Since the 16th century Catholic piety has assigned entire months to special devotions. Due to her feast day on September 15, the month of September has traditionally been set aside to honor Our Lady of Sorrows. All the sorrows of Mary (the prophecy of Simeon, the three days' loss, etc.) are merged in the supreme suffering at the Passion. In the Passion, Mary suffered a martyrdom of the heart because of Our Lord's torments and the greatness of her love for Him. "She it was," says Pope Pius XII, "who immune from all sin, personal or inherited, and ever more closely united with her Son, offered Him on Golgotha to the Eternal Father together with the holocaust of her maternal rights and motherly love. As a new Eve, she made this offering for all the children of Adam contaminated through his unhappy fall. Thus she, who was the mother of our Head according to the flesh, became by a new title of sorrow and glory the spiritual mother of all His members." ~ Catholic Culture
September 3, Feast of St. Gregory the Great (New.):
September 4, Feast of St. Rosalia and St. Rose of Viterbo (Trad.):
(The following posts would work nicely!)
- Rosy Treats for the Feasts of St. Juan Diego and Our Lady of Guadalupe
- Chocolate Roses for St. Thérèse
- Rose Cake and Punch for St. Therese
September 5, Feast of Blessed Mother Teresa of Calcutta :
September 8, Feast of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary (New, Trad.):
- Blueberry Cheesecake for Our Lady
- A Birthday Cake for Our Lady! (Lemon Blueberry Cake)
- A Blueberry "Waffle Cake" for Mary's Birthday!
- Holy Name of Mary Cookies
- Holy Name of Mary, "Ave Maria"
- Mary Blue Jell-O Cake
- Feast of the Holy Name of Mary (Jello Jigglers)
September 13, Feast of St. John Chrysostom (New):
- Looking for ideas for the Triumph of the Cross?
- From Thy Bounty Fair - Feast of the Triumph of the Cross
- Monkey Bread Cross
- An Easy Pesto Recipe...
- Tomato Basil Mozzarella Salad
- Sundried Tomato Pasta Salad
September 15, Feast of Our Lady of Sorrows (New) or The 7 Sorrows of Our Lady (Trad.):
September 19, Feast of St. Januarius (Gennaro) (New, Trad.):
September 20, Feast of Sts. Andrew Kim Taegon, Pr., Paul Chong Hasang, Catechist & Companions (New):
September 23, Feast of St. Pio of Pietrelcina (Padre Pio) (New):
September 28, Feast of St. Wenceslaus (New, Trad.):
September 29, Feast of Sts. Michael, Gabriel & Raphael, Archangels (New) Michaelmas Day (Trad.):
- Upcoming From Thy Bounty Fair: Angels (With ideas and suggestions!)
- Michaelmas Feasting from Wales
- Apple Chicken
- From Thy Bounty Fair - Feasting with the Angels!
- Instant Gnocchi for Michaelmas
- St. Michael's Waffles
September 30, Feast of St. Jerome (New, Trad.):