Monday, August 18, 2008

A Crown for our Queen

This past spring, I ran across a darling Cookie Crown Cake recipe in a Family Fun Magazine. I have been waiting for an opportunity to make it, and what better reason than to celebrate the Memorial of the Queenship of the Blessed Virgin Mary on August 22nd. (On the Extraordinary Calendar it is celebrated on May 31st. )

Even though it looks complicated, it actually sounds fairly easy.... You won't even need a cookie cutter with this pdf template to use as a pattern. Enjoy!


Cookie Crown Cake

Ingredients:
2/3 cup flour
16 1/2-ounce roll refrigerated sugar cookie dough
4 tablespoons yellow decorating sugar
2 (16-ounce) cans white frosting
Candy decorations (regular and mini M&M's, and Stardrops hard candies)
2 (8-inch) round cakes

Directions:
1. Knead the flour into the cookie dough to firm it up. On a floured surface, roll the dough into a 1/4-inch-thick rectangle. Using the template, cut out as many cookies as you can. (If you happen to have a small heart cookie cutter you can use that as well.) Keep rerolling the dough scraps and cutting until you have 12 cookies -- 11 for the cake plus a backup. Transfer the cookies to a foil- or parchment-lined baking sheet and sprinkle them generously with yellow sugar. Bake them according to the package directions until they're golden brown around the edges. Transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.

2. Spoon 1/2 cup of the frosting into a resealable plastic bag. Snip off a corner of the bag and pipe designs onto the cookies. Add candy decorations as shown above. Allow the frosting to set for at least 1 hour before handling the cookies.

3. Use a long serrated knife to trim the top of one of the cakes flat, if needed. Place it on a serving platter, spread a thin layer of frosting on the top, then lay the other cake on it, rounded side up. Generously frost the stack and use a spoon to draw the frosting on top up to a point as shown. Carefully press the cookies around the side of the cake, piping lines of frosting between the cookies to secure them. Serves 11.

Mary, Queen of Heaven ~ Pray for us!


UPDATE: You can see my finished cake here.

Pin It

10 comments:

  1. That's exactly what I thought when I saw that issue last spring - a perfect liturgical year cake (Epiphany, Queenship of Mary, Christ the King, etc.)

    I'm so glad you posted it for all to see. And you're right, I don't think it would be too hard at all and ends up looking so elegant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am soooooo going to have to try this cake. Thanks for passing it along.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Charlotte, I am SURE you will do an amazing job with this one! I actually thought of you when I first saw it! :)

    Mary, I updated the labels to include Epiphany and Christ the King! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! That is a beautiful cake and can be used for many things too! I imagine some little girl having a fabulous princess party with that cake too. How fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is absolutely fantabulous! We just have to make this cake...Thank you for posting such a wonderful idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am totally making this!! I have been planning a Corination party and this will be perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful! I love Catholic-related bakery. Check out the Catholic bakery available at www.traditionalcatholicnovels.com/bakery
    Giant cookie cakes, anyone?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I couldn't find the template on the linked website anymore. Perhaps I'm not looking properly. I did finally track it down on the asian Disney website though. Here is a direct link, ie. it will start to download the pattern.
    http://www.disneyjunior-asia.com/media/pdf/grown-ups/princess/djr_fam_pri_cookiecrowncake.pdf

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wish the template were still available! This is a beautiful cake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just did a little searching and found it here. I'll update the post: http://a.dolimg.com/en-US/disneyjunior/media/pdf/family/djr_fam_pri_cookiecrowncake.pdf

      Delete