Friday, September 12, 2008

Mary Blue Jell-O Cake


My kids decided instead of a Berry Blue Cake, it should be a Mary Blue Cake and that is what we made to celebrate the Feast of the Most Holy Name of Mary. This was my first Poke Cake and I was a bit skeptical especially when I poured the blue goo over my beautiful cake and watched in horror as the outside of it turned green. Never fear though, because it was a true white cake (only the outside was golden), the inside is all blue.

Jell-O Poke Cake
2 baked (9-inch) round white cake layers, completely cooled
2 cups boiling water
2 pkg. (4-serving size each) JELL-O Berry Blue Flavor Gelatin

PLACE 2 baked 9-inch round cake layers, top side up, each in clean 9-inch round cake pan. Pierce cakes with bamboo skewer at 1/2-inch intervals. STIR boiling water into 2 pkgs. of gelatin in medium bowl at least 2 min. until completely dissolved. Carefully pour gelatin evenly over cake layers. Refrigerate 3 hours. DIP the cake pans in warm water 10 sec.; unmold onto serving plate. Frost cake. Refrigerate at least 1 hour or until ready to serve. Decorate as desired. Store leftover cake in refrigerator.


To make the name, I printed the letters out on cardstock, using a thick font and an extra large font size (Matura MT Script Capitals 175pt.) and cut them out with a mat knife. Once your frosting has chilled for at least an hour and is no longer sticky to the touch, gently lay the letters on the cake and sprinkle blue sugar crystals into the open spaces. Blow off the extra and carefully remove the cardstock. If some of the frosting comes up with the paper, put the cake back in the fridge before trying to smooth it out.

Some coloring pages and other ideas for celebrating this feast day can be found here.

Pin It

8 comments:

  1. WOW!! I just love how beautiful the jello poke cakes turn out inside! Amazing!! I have never made one before, but I am determined to now! You are always inspiring me to try new things Charlotte! :o)

    Thank you so much for posting, and thanks again for the lovely coloring pages!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Jess! That looks sooooo yummy! I bet your kids loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your cake is so professional-looking!

    My children and I made "Mary" blue cupcakes -- same exact thing (we weren't so clever about naming them, though!) -- for Mary's birthday on Monday! My 5 yo enthusiastically added egg yolks into the batter, so we had a "golden" cake by default, but I'm sure Mary was still pleased! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think we should have had a "fair" of Mary cakes. Very lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree Mary! There are so many great ways to make cakes for our Blessed Mother! Maybe we could do a "fair" linking to all the beautiful cakes in the end of December, right before the feast of Mary, the Mother of God on January 1st! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a simply perfect cake for Our Lady! Thank you so much for sharing that Charlotte, I love your creative ideas and your talented cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am going to have to try a poke cake too!! It turned out beautiful Charlotte!!

    Thanks again for the coloring sheets, the girls loved them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks wonderful! My girls wanted to make one like that, but we did not have blue jello.

    So we made a blue cake (used food color) with chocolate frosting. I was going to put her name on it, but my cuties were too excited and ended up cutting it before it even cooled.

    ReplyDelete