Saturday, December 11, 2010

A Tea in Honor of Our Lady of Guadalupe

I just realized that I never added the Tea in Honor of Our Lady of Guadalupe, which our family enjoyed last year, here at Catholic Cuisine! In fact, it wasn't until just now, after seeing my own post linked on another blog, that I even remembered having this tea... In my defense, I was 9 months pregnant (due on Dec 25th) and just days away from delivering! It is so hard to believe that our little "Rose" will be a year old on the 15th!   Anyhow, here is the post in honor of the feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe tomorrow!


Inspired, once again, by Alice's amazing Liturgical Teas, we enjoyed A Tea in Honor of Our Lady of Guadalupe.

Some of my children had made Tilmas at last weeks Homeschool Craft Day, but those that didn't worked on making theirs while the others colored and cut out Our Lady of Guadalupe and St. Juan Diego Paper Dolls as I prepared the tea and we all listened to Fresh Flowers in Winter: The Story of Saint Juan Diego.



Here is what was included in the menu:

~ Aztec Chocolate ~

Mexican Hot Cocoa with Mini Marshmallows, while praying for the many innocent lives that were sacrificed by the Aztecs.


~ St. Juan Diego's Sombrero ~

Pringles with a little round of string cheese
My children LOVED these and they were so easy!


~ Tepayac Hill ~

I forgot to pick up Guacamole or Potato Salad as suggested and so I resorted to using a package of Idahoan Instant Baby Red Mashed Potatoes. It worked. :)


~ A Woman Clothed with the Sun ~

Instead of Alice's Recipe, I made Pampered Chef's Touchdown Taco Dip:
1 can refried beans, topped with 1 package cream cheese mixed with 1 cup of sour cream and 2 tablespoons of taco seasoning, and then topped with cheddar cheese.
(The recipe calls for green onions, diced tomatoes, and olives on the very top after it bakes, but I omitted them for the "Sun")


~ A Mantle of Stars ~

46 stars to represent the 46 constellations that would have appeared in the sky on the night of Our Lady's December 12th apparition to St. Juan Diego.

I found these star cookies at Target. I also ran across Star Marshmallows, Star Candies, and even Star shaped Baby Food Puffs, so there were lots of options!

Also, this was A LOT of Cookies -- almost all went back in the package to save for Christmas. Next year I think I will serve only 12 for Our Lady's "Crown of 12 Stars."


~ Crescent Moons ~

Crescent shaped biscotti!
If I make this tea again, I would probably substitute these for small crescent shaped croissants filled with chicken salad or something, though the biscotti was perfect for dipping into that hot cocoa!


~ Supporting Angels ~

 
Since I used the Lindt Angels for our Jesse Tea, I purchased these for this one. Aren't they so cute! My girls were especially thrilled and have been "saving" theirs! ;)


~ Praying Hands ~

Praying Hand shaped tea sandwiches, pointing towards the baby Jesus!


~ The Tilma of Roses ~

My children *LOVED* these!!
I did fold them up after taking photos and before serving, and let the children unfold them to find the "roses."


~ Bishop Zumarraga's Miter ~

These miter cookies were leftover from the feast of St. Nicholas and made such a great little addition to the tea!


~ Crushed Serpents ~




~ "Build Me a Church" ~



~ Roses from Heaven Punch ~

For the punch I just used a bottle of Raspberry Spritzer
and added scoops of Raspberry Sherbet.


There were quite a few sweets included in this tea, so I postponed serving the "Build me a Church" and the Roses from Heaven Punch until the next day, which ended up being the perfect time to read The Lady of Guadalupe by Tomie de Paola and Our Lady of Guadalupe by Father Lovasik.


Prayer to Our Lady of Guadalupe

Our Lady of Guadalupe, mystical rose, intercede for the Church, protect the Holy Father, help all who invoke you in their necessities. Since you are the ever Virgin Mary and Mother of the true God, obtain for us from your most holy Son the Grace of a firm faith and sure hope amid the bitterness of life, as well as an ardent love and the precious gift of final perseverance. Amen.

Pin It

4 comments:

  1. Those fringe-cut tilmas made my day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love your teas. my family had a small OLOG tea this year, based on your tea from last year.

    we also made Our Lady of Gaudalupe Crispies.

    pax Christi - lena

    ReplyDelete