Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Our Lady of Sorrows AND The Exaltation of The Holy Cross


I always get so nervous to post something here on Catholic Cuisine,
I'm in the presence of such holy and creative women and
I think things like "Will I get in trouble for posting 2 feast days in 1 post?"
I hope not.
Today for Our Lady of Sorrows, we plan to bake some brownies.
 I got the idea of putting pretzels in the heart shape cake from Barbara.


We also plan to do 7 almonds, which represent 7 tears. (tear shaped nut) Picture 5 kiddos putting these nuts under their eyes to pretend they are tears....The coloring sheet is from Mathilda.



The Blessed Virgin told St Bridget of the seven graces given to all who honor her daily by saying seven Hail Mary's and meditating on her tears and dolors.


Here are the seven graces:
  1. I will grant peace to their families.
  2. They will be enlightened about the divine mysteries.
  3. I will console them in their pains and I will accompany them in their work.
  4. I will give them as much as they ask for as long as it does not oppose the adorable will of my divine Son or the sanctification of their souls.
  5. I will defend them in their spiritual battles with the infernal enemy and I will protect them at every instant of their lives.
  6. I will visibly help them at the moment of their death, they will see the face of their Mother.
  7. I have obtained (This Grace) from my divine Son, that those who propagate this devotion to my tears and dolors, will be taken directly from this earthly life to eternal happiness since all their sins will be forgiven and my Son and I will be their eternal consolation and joy.
Seven Sorrows
  1. The prophecy of Simeon.
  2. The flight into Egypt.
  3. The loss of the Child Jesus in the temple.
  4. The meeting of Jesus and Mary on the Way of the Cross.
  5. The Crucifixion.
  6. The taking down of the Body of Christ from the Cross.
  7. The burial of Jesus.
Yesterday we celebrated the Feast of the Exaltation of the  Holy Cross, or the Triumphant Cross
by making a cross cake.  This year, I didn't make a poke cake, (since not everyone likes wet cake) but decided to make a regular white cake and  then I set aside some of the batter and added red food coloring gel, enough to make it a good red, then added it to the top of the cake batter in the pan.  I had no idea how it would turn out, and, well, it didn't turn out as good as I thought it would, I should have poked it down with the end of a wooden spoon or something. (make a mental note of that Jamie, for next year)

 (next year, remember at this point to poke the batter down)
 My kitchen helper...especially when there are bowls to be licked!
 We made the pudding frosting:
1 pkg any flavor pudding (we used chocolate fudge)
1 cup milk
1 small container of cool whip
The heart and glow things are Starburst rolled out and cut into shape.
 I did like the vibrant colors the red batter made, this would work for the 
Feast of Divine Mercy too....or Christmas, add a little green...
(See?  Should have poked that red batter down)
We also enjoyed the Tomato Basil Mozzarella Salad.
I used grape tomatoes and added cucumbers and 
cut up the Mozzarella into bite size pieces.
(the cucumbers were from Christine's garden!)
It was delicious!
Pin It

7 comments:

  1. I love the almond idea, Jamie! I'm so glad you posted it. We have a big bag of almonds, too. :)

    The heart and cross cakes are wonderful. Great visuals for the kiddos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We celebrated the two feast days together too. i love your cross cake. Jamie. it's beautiful, and i checked out your poke cake which also looks lovely. I am definitely ok with soggy wet cake, and my 4 year old dunks almost everything in her milk ! so the poke cake would be a hit in our house. thanks for ahring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Jamie! :) Of course you are not "in trouble"! LOL! Thank you for posting!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the 7 sorrows holy card. Where can I find one like that?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous, I have extra, if you'd like one, I'll mail you one, email me at jamiejo99(at)gmail.com with your address!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everything is lovely, Jamie. I, too, love the colors:) I know what you mean about being worried about posting...I posted simple bagels for goodness sakes! You did great and thank you:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your recipes and especially your cross cake.

    ReplyDelete