Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Sundried Tomato Pasta Salad

Since today is the feast of St. Helena, I thought I would share another recipe containing basil since tradition says that sweet basil grew all over the hillside where Saint Helena discovered the Holy cross on which our Lord died.  This salad could also be served on September 14th, the feast of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross.

I made it a couple weeks ago for a family get together and it was SO delicious!


Sundried Tomato Pasta Salad

adapted from Pioneer Woman

Dressing:
  • 8 oz extra moist sundried tomatoes  (or 1 jar of sundried tomatoes, drained)
  • 4 cloves garlic
  • 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
  • 1 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
  • salt
  • pepper

Salad:
  • 2 - 16 ounces bags of pasta
  • 1 jar Kalamata or assorted olives
  • 1-2 pints ripe cherry tomatoes, halved  (I used 1)
  • 15-20 basil leaves, chopped
  • 1 1/2 cups freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Prepare dressing by blending sundried tomatoes, garlic, salt, pepper, and vinegar until tomatoes are chopped. Blend while drizzling in olive oil; continue blending until mixed together.

Cook pasta according to package directions, drain, and rinse with cold water until no longer hot. Pour  dressing over the pasta, add olives, and toss together. Add remaining ingredients, tossing together and adding more dressing until the salad is coated to your liking. Serve on a big platter with an extra sprinkling of Parmesan cheese.

Note:  To make a smaller salad, use just one bag of pasta and pour the extra dressing over a block of cream cheese.  Serve with crackers. 

Enjoy!!

Pin It

9 comments:

  1. Since I have two pots of basil growing on my kitchen window shelf I know what I will be doing with some of it! The Pasta dish sounds so yummy! Thank you so much for sharing this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome website!!! Love the photos and great information-thanks,Betty http://www.geothermalquestions.net

    ReplyDelete
  3. this looks delicious...and something my family would love. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful site-Love the pictures-thank you Betty http://www.geothermalquestions.net

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry I missed this feasts AND recipe! Next year I'll make that as a main!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks so Delicious, like all recipes on catholiccuisine, this is a must for the feast of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross. hank you!

    Liturgy of the Hours

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks so yummy! I will have to try it this week... I just need to get the cheese and the olives!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Madam,

    What a great tool!

    I am going to link this on my site, If you so allow.

    God bless you.

    pablo

    *

    ReplyDelete