Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Feast of Padre Pio - Italian Sausage and Pasta

Padre Pio was born in an Italian village of Pietrelcina in1887. He is one of my favorite Saints! I wish I had planned better and had something wonderful to post, but instead I was busy this week and had to make my easy, trusty recipe that my family loves. The only thing to tie this together as a meal for Padre Pio is the Italian Sausage. Cheesy - I know (literally cheesy...LOL)

Here are a few links to learn more about this great Saint. Read about his beatification here and his canonization here. His biography here and info here.

My favorite quote by him - "Do not be so completely dedicated to Martha's activity that you forget the silence or self-abandonment of Mary. May the Virgin, who combines the duties so well, be your model and inspiration." St. Pio of Pietrelcina

SPICEY ITALIAN SAUSAGE AND PEPPER FARFALLE (adapted from southern living recipe)
1 pound mild italian (ground or in links, but remove casings and crumble)

1 box Barilla Farfalle Pasta ( bow tie)

2 Bell Peppers, one red and one green

1 Shallot diced

2 tablespoons olive oil ( I use more when needed)

5 plum tomatoes ( use roma, usually cheaper)

1 cup beef broth

1 cup parmesan cheese (grated but the real cheese, not the kind in the can)

First I dribble just a bit of olive oil in the pan and brown sausage. (adding more olive oil if pan is getting to dry) I put a paper towel on a plate and spoon out the sausage onto the plate, being sure the leave some oil and drippings in the pan. I keep the oven on warm and put the sausage in the oven to stay warm while I prepare the rest.
I start the water for pasta and prepare as directed on the box.
I keep the pan I cooked sausage in on low as I put the veggies in. I put the chopped peppers in first and cook over med heat for about 5-7 minutes then add the shallots and cook about 5 more minutes. I add more olive oil as needed. When veggies are tender, I add the sausage back to the pan on low to med, just to mix and warm.
Then I added the beef broth ( I use Wyler’s granules to = 1 cup broth). Then add the tomatoes that are diced. Cook for an additional 5-7 minutes on med. ( I tend to make a bit more broth because my family likes lots of juice in it.)
I drain the pasta and put in a very large bowl and toss using a few drizzles of olive oil until pasta is evenly coated. I then add all of the sausage mixture and 1/2 cup parm cheese and stir melting the cheese. Then we are done! I add a bit more cheese on the top of each serving. I serve with just salad and garlic bread.

Here is a great prayer he recited -

O Jesus, impart to me also that same strength, when my weak nature foreseeing future evils rebels, so that like Thou, I may accept with serene peace and tranquility all the pains and distress which I may meet on this earth of exile. I unite all to Thy merits, to Thy pains, Thy ex­piations, Thy tears, that I may cooperate with Thee for my salvation and flee from sin, which was the sole cause of making Thee sweat blood and which led Thee to death. Destroy in me everything that does not please Thee, and with the sacred fire of Thy love write Thy sufferings into my heart. Hold me so closely to Thee, with a bond so tight and so sweet, that I shall never again abandon Thee in Thy Sufferings. May I be able to rest on Thy Heart to obtain comfort in the sufferings of life. May my spirit have no other desire but to live at Thy side in the Garden and unite itself to the pains of Thy Heart. May my soul be inebriated with Thy Blood and feed itself with the bread of Thy suffer­ings. Amen.


St. Padre Pio - Pray that we -- as Mothers die to ourselves and live to love and serve our Lord and our families!
Pin It

2 comments:

  1. Looks yummy - my kids love bowtie pasta.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum!! That pasta looks SO good! What a great dinner for this feast. Thanks for sharing the recipe Michele!

    ReplyDelete