Friday, September 12, 2008

Holy Name of Mary Cookies

I hope it's not too late to post this! I decided since my 2 and 4 year olds are learning their ABC's, cookie cutter cookies of Mary's name would be fun for today! My cutout cookie recipe always gets rave reviews by my husband's co-workers, and these men can be brutal. SO, here it is:

Cookie Cutter Cookies
1 cup salted butter (2 sticks)
1 cup sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 teaspoons baking powder
3 cups all purpose flour
3 Tablespoons milk
Heat oven to 400 degrees. Beat butter and sugar until creamy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Mix baking powder and flour in bowl. On low speed, gradually beat flour mixture into butter mixture until combined. Add milk; beat until dough masses around beaters.
Divide dough in half or thirds (whatever you prefer). Lightly flour work surface and roll out dough to 1/3 inch thickness. Cut shapes.
Bake for 10 minutes. ( I usually bake them for 14, so I suppose it depends on your oven)
Cool and frost.

Buttercream Frosting
1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening
1/2 cup butter
1 tsp vanilla
4 cups powdered sugar
2 Tbs milk (or more depending on how thin you want your frosting)
Blue food coloring (or whatever color you need)
Cream butter and shortening. Add vanilla. Gradually add sugar one cup at a time, beating well on medium speed. When all sugar has been mixed, icing will appear dry. Add milk and beat on high speed until light and fluffy.
Makes 3 cups.
Makes enough for cookie recipe to be doubled or tripled.

Pin It

5 comments:

  1. What a great idea. And I'll have to give that recipe a try - it looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look great! I have those cutters too, very practical for so many liturgical things..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooohhh!! I bet your children loved those! They turned out so cute! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this idea! I don't have alphabet cookie cutters yet, but I've put them on my list!

    ReplyDelete