Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Meatless Meals :: Grilled Tilapia with Pineapple Salsa

Last Friday, before heading to the grocery store, I pulled a couple cookbooks off my shelf looking for a bit of inspiration.  One of the recipes I decided to try was from Pampered Chef's 29 Minutes till Dinner. (With a 2 month old, I have to be able to get dinner ready pretty quickly!) 

In less than 30 minutes I really was able to have a beautiful AND delicious dinner on the table.   I did bake an additional tray of fish sticks (for our younger children), however next time I think I will just grill a couple more fillets since my children really liked the Tilapia too (the salsa, not so much... too many onions for our little ones, but my husband and I loved it.).


Grilled Tilapia with Pineapple Salsa
adapted from Pampered Chef's 29 Minutes till Dinner

Pineapple Salsa
  • 1 medium pineapple OR 1 (20 oz) can pineapple slices or chunks
  • 1/4 small red onion, chopped
  • 1 serrano pepper, seeded and diced
  • 2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp lime zest
  • 1 tbsp lime juice

Tilapia
  • 1 (1.25 oz) packet taco seasoning
  • 3 tbsp olive oil
  • 4 boneless. skinless tilapia fillets (about 4 oz ea.)

Directions:

Heat grill pan over medium-high heat for 5 minutes.  As pan heats, prepare pineapple.

For Fresh Pineapple :: Peel Pineapple in half; cut lengthwise into two pieces and remove core.  Slice pineapple piece lengthwise into three strips.  

For canned pineapple :: drain and pat dry with paper towels before cooking to promote grill marks. 

Arrange pineapple in a single layer over grill pan; cook 2-3 minutes on each side or until grill marks appear.  Set aside on cutting board.

While pineapple cooks, combine onion, serrano pepper, cilantro and salt in a small bowl.   Add lime zest and juice and mix well.

Whisk together taco seasoning and oil.  Add tilapia; turn to coat.  Place 2 tilapia fillets onto grill pan;  cook 2 minutes on each side or until grill marks appear and tilapia flakes easily with a fork.  Remove from pan.   Wipe out pan and repeat with remaining fillets.

As tilapia cooks, chop pineapple (unless using chunks like I did) and add to onion mixture; mix well.  To serve, top tilapia with pineapple salsa.

Yield: 4 servings Pin It

2 comments:

  1. Did you leave the serrano pepper out of the salsa? Just wondering if it is hot or not... i Googled it and it looks like a jalepeno. My hubby doesn't go for spicy, lol. But this looks really yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Erin, I did include the serrano pepper, and if you don't like hot foods, I would definitely leave it out. I just googled it and it says that you can substitute with jalapeno, which are not as hot!

    ReplyDelete