Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Meatless Meals :: Zucchini and Sweet Potato Frittata

I hope you are all having a blessed and fruitful Lent! I wanted to take a second to share one of our new favorite meatless meals this year: Zucchini and Sweet Potato Frittata.  With a newborn in our home I've had to find meals that are not only healthy, but quick and easy to make as well.   For those with allergies, this recipe is also free of dairy and grains. I've made it a few times now and it is definitely a keeper!


Zucchini and Sweet Potato Frittata

Ingredients:
  • 2 tbsp Coconut Oil (or butter)
  • 8 eggs
  • 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut in slices
  • 2 sliced zucchinis
  • 1 sliced red bell pepper
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • Salsa, optional


Directions:

Heat the coconut oil in a pan over a medium-low heat.  Add the sweet potato slices and cook until softened, about 6-8 minutes.


Add the red bell pepper and zucchini slices and cook for another 4 minutes.


While the vegetables cook, whisk the eggs in a bowl, seasoning with salt and pepper.  Add the egg mixture to the cooking veggies.


Cook on low heat until just set, about 10 minutes.  Finish the frittata until golden under a heated broiler.


Cut the finished frittata into wedges and serve salsa, if desired.


Pin It

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for this recipe! No meat, no wheat, no dairy! Yay! I will definately try this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having a bit of trouble wrapping my mental tastebuds around sweet potatoes and eggs at the same time...even if I could stomach red pepper in the morning (and I eat almost everything for breakfast).
    Maybe I will feel like a culinary adventure one of these days and throw caution to the wind! One never knows...thanks for sharing the favorite recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have actually been making this for dinner, but I am sure it would taste just as yummy in the morning. I've also made this frittata without the sweet potato, adding in asparagus and mushrooms, which was good as well, but not quite as good according to my kids and husband. I wouldn't have ever thought to combine sweet potatoes and eggs either until two different friends suggested I try a sweet potato hash with a steamed/poached egg on top. It is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I repinned your recipe. Looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very usefull recipe. I just try it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Look like very interesting recipe.
    paleo diet

    ReplyDelete