Saturday, April 23, 2011

Bird's-Nest Cookies for Easter


This morning we started making the treats for tomorrow!   We started with a batch of Chocolate Nests followed by a Chocolate Crown of Thorns.   Then we decided to try make a few more nests slightly modifying a recipe from the Fairies CookbookFairy-Tale Bird's Nest Cookies!   They turned out so cute and I thought I would share the recipe with you all real quick.

Bird's Nest Cookies
adapted from Fairies Cookbook

Ingredients:

8 ounces light blue candy melts 
(The cookbook suggests 1/2 pound vanilla candy coating, mixed paste blue food coloring)
2 cups chow mein noodles
2 cups cornflakes
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup shredded coconut, tinted green with liquid food coloring 
(I used paste)
1/2 cup pastel candy-coated chocolate candies


Directions:

In a large bowl, combine chow mein noodles, cornflakes, and salt.   


Pour melted candy over the mixture, stirring until completely coated. 


Form nests by mounding heaping tablespoonfuls of the mixture onto a sheet pan lined with foil.  


To tint coconut, place it in a small ziplock bag.  Add a few drops of food coloring, seal and shake!  


Sprinkle the coconut on top and then, with your thumb, make an indentation in the center of each nest. 


Place several candies into each nest.  


All done!


It's "A treat to make the birds sing!
...or at least my children!  :-) 
Pin It

3 comments:

  1. Oh how cute! Will you make me one? I'm so excited to spend Easter at your home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. too cute. we made bird's nest cookies today too. a little differently. I'll post about it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I seriously have to see how these turn out with milk-free chocolate. I have a niece with a milk allergy but I think she'd love these!

    ReplyDelete