Thursday, March 12, 2009

Irish Beef and Guinness Stew



With St. Patrick's Day coming up in less than a week, I thought I would take a second to share the recipe for our favorite Irish Beef Stew.


Irish Beef and Guinness Stew

Ingredients:
  • 2 pounds lean beef stew meat
  • 3 tbs vegetable oil, divided
  • 2 tbs all-purpose flour
  • salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
  • 1 pinch cayenne pepper
  • 2 large onions, chopped
  • 1 clove garlic, crushed
  • 2 tbs tomato paste
  • 1 1/2 cups Guinness stout beer (or other Irish Stout)
  • 2 cups carrot, cut into chunks
  • 1 sprig fresh thyme
  • 1 tbs fresh parsley, chopped (for garnish)

Directions:

Trim the meat of any fat, cut into 2 inch cubes, and toss them in a bowl with 1 tbs of the vegetable oil. In a small bowl, stir together the flour, salt, pepper, and a pinch of cayenne. Toss the meat in the mixture to coat.

Heat the remaining oil in a deep pan over medium-high heat. Add the beef, and brown on all sides. Add the onions and crushed garlic. Stir the tomato paste into a small amount of water (to dilute); pour into the pan, stir to blend, cover and cook gently (reduce heat if necessary) for about 5 minutes.

Pour 1/2 cup of the beer into the pan, and as it begins to boil, scrape any bits of food from the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon. This adds a lot of flavor to the broth. Pour in the rest of the beer, and add the carrots and thyme. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 2 to 3 hours, stirring occasionally. Taste and adjust seasoning before serving. Garnish with chopped parsley.

Yields: Six to Eight Servings


Beannachtaí na Féile Pádraig oraibh!
St. Patrick's Day Blessing Upon You!

Pin It

10 comments:

  1. Jessica,
    This sounds fabulous. Thanks to dh, we have some Irish stout in the house right now. I will hide one in the back of the fridge to use on Tuesday! Thank you for an easy recipe to make on St. Patrick's feast! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks delicious! I'm not a huge fan of corned beef, but was thinking about making something similar to this recipe for Tuesday!

    Best,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jessica,
    Thank you so much for the recipe. It was delicious. I'm going to use this again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made this today for St. patrick's Day. It was so good. My husband loved it. Because I had to take my kids to the doctor unexpeectedly in the afternoon, it didn't get to simmer as long as I would have liked, so it was a little soupy. I added about a tbsp of cornstarch and it did the trick. Thanks for sharing such a simpel and delicious recipe.
    Here's pictures.
    http://motherlyloving.blogspot.com/2009/03/happy-saint-patricks-day.html
    I paired it with the artisan bread in five minutes that I make a lot and it was perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so glad that some of you were able to try (and liked!) the stew!!

    I went ahead and added a photo to the post from this evening...

    I was distracted when I was making our pot of stew and added the whole can of tomato paste this time... Oops!

    Hope you all had a wonderful feast of St. Patrick!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My wife and I made this recipe too. It was delicious. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used Harps Lager not realizing the difference between lager and stout. Oh, the drinker that I am. Still turned out delicious! Thank you for the wonderful recipe. I tend to keep these kinds of recipes a yearly event. But, I have a feeling my husband will be asking for this more.

    Sadly, today is sunny and 71. I *almost* wish it were a bit colder so we could cuddle by the fireplace and enjoy this properly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. about the beer... the stew is safe for kids to eat ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Here is the link to an informative chart which gives the percentage of alcohol left after cooking for periods of time. After simmering this stew for 3 hours, less than 5% of the original 4.2% alcohol content remains in the stew from the 1 1/2 cups included. Dividing that by 6-8 (adult sized) servings, I think the tiny amount remaining is very very low and I personally don't have a problem serving it to my children the 1-3 times per year I actually make the stew.

      http://homecooking.about.com/od/alcohol/a/alcoholsub_2.htm

      Delete