Friday, January 6, 2012

Epiphany Tart


Inspired by our latest family read aloud, we looked into English Epiphany traditions and found that an Epiphany Tart (which we would consider just a simple jam tart) was considered a delicacy in the Victorian age. When done well, it is supposed to have at least 13 different flavors of jam and look like a stained glass window. Ours only had 6 flavors and while not lovely enough to hang in a Cathedral, it still looks good enough to eat!

Epiphany Tart

1 1/2 C. flour
1/2 C. powdered sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
9 Tbl. cold stick butter, cut into pieces
1 egg yolk

an assortment of jams

In a food processor, pulse dry ingredients to combine. Add butter and pulse until coarsely cut. Break up the yolk and add in parts, pulsing for 10 seconds after each addition. When the dough clumps, turn dough out onto a work surface. Knead lightly to mix in any unincorporated ingredients. Press into bottom and partially up the sides of a buttered tart pan. Shape the wise men's star with extra dough by pinching and pressing together. Place in freezer for 30 minutes. (I doubled the recipe and had some left over.)
Prior to baking

Preheat oven to 375. Bake tart for 25 minutes. Remove and fill sections with jam. Bake another 10 minutes until jam is set and tart is lightly browned. Cool on rack until ready to serve.



Pin It

6 comments:

  1. Oh, my does this look every so delicious and simple to make! This will be making an appearance in our house on Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look so yummy tart I really like to eat so much. Keep posting!

    zonia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, my goodness. Is that ever beautiful food. I absolutely love it! Nicely done, Charlotte!

    For my older son's communion cake, I attempted a stained-glass look, and it was pretty, but I used that Wilton gel to get the effect...I absolutely should have used jam! So much more delicious and authentic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a terrific idea! Such a great way to use up jams!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My kids and I made your recipe today - the dough was great - my patient 8-year-old enjoyed building his own design for the jam sections. We got lovely and delicious results. Thank you for posting!

    ReplyDelete