Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Crepes for the Feast of St. Bernadette

I want to thank Jessica of Shower of Roses for inviting me to be a guest author here at Catholic Cuisine. I hope to post some of our recipes and liturgical ideas throughout the year for you to try with your families! I feel blessed to be part of this lovely sharing blog!

Here is a very easy and lovely meal that can be prepared for the Feast of St. Bernadette which we celebrate tomorrow April 16th.

I first posted this celebration at Sweetness and Light titled Crepes for St. Therese, hence the statue of St. Therese.

Here's the VERY simple and no fail Crepes recipe:
4 eggs lightly beaten
2 cups milk
1 Tablespoon Canola Oil (or any veg oil, just not Olive oil)
3/4c. to 1 cup flour (depending upon how thin or thick you prefer)
1-2 Tablespoons sugar
1/4 tespoon salt (kosher)
Blend first three ingredients until frothy, add last three ingredients and blend until you have a nice smooth pourable batter. Pour about 1/4 cup batter onto a med-high heat griddle or very large non-stick saute pan. (You need room around your crepe to get your spatula under it to flip) Use a spoon to lightly swirl your crepe into a large disc, be careful not to tear the batter, if you happen to, just spoon a little batter into that spot :) Cook for about 30 seconds on each side until lightly golden, and then stack 'em up on a platter for serving at the table.
Of note: you may have a crepe pan at home and if you like that give it a whirl, personally my favorite cooking surface for these is my stove top griddle ;)

This recipe works for either sweet or savory crepes, I would just omit the sugar if your fixing for a dinner crepe!

Fill with any of your favorite *pancake* type items, like maple syrup, powdered sugar, applesauce, yogurt, peanut butter, jams, honey, strawberries and whip cream :)

I hope you enjoy these as much as we do and please share your results if you try them, they are a mainstay in our family celebrations!!

Bon Appetit! St. Bernadette, pray for us! Pin It

4 comments:

  1. I am not Catholic but I am going to try the recipe. Sounds easy to make

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh! Yummy!!! My hubby is out of town, so I think I will be making these for dinner tomorrow night and then watch The Song of Bernadette with the kids!!! I've made crepes before, but the recipe is different, so I think I will try this one for a change! Thanks you so much for sharing this with us Meredith!!! I hope you and your family have a very blessed Feast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a delightful idea! I can't believe I'm just now discovering this blog...definitely linking you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jessica, linking this up today on my new site, would you mind changing the link for Sweetness and Light to the new url - http://www.sweetness-n-light.com/

    Thanks a bunch and happy feast!!

    ReplyDelete