Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Cry 'God for Harry, England and St. George!'

St. George's feast day is April 23rd. St. George is the patron saint of England (and tomorrow marks its National Day) but also of other regions and countries such as Aragon, Catalonia and Valencia; Portugal, Cyprus, Georgia, Serbia, Bulgaria, Bosnia and Herzegovina, the Republic of Macedonia. Wikipedia shares the vast popularity of this saint.

There are already some great ideas for St. George from last year, one post marking my one year anniversary writing for Catholic Cuisine (thank you, Jessica).

William Shakespeare's birthday is also celebrated on this day, April 23. His famous and often quoted 'Battle of Agincourt' speech includes the rally call by Henry V: Follow your spirit; and, upon this charge, Cry 'God for Harry, England and St George!'" (Henry V, Act Three, Scene 1).

I thought I'd share these fun links for more English observation of St George's Day:

BBC Good Food: St. George's Day Recipes

How To...Celebrate St George's Day. This is a wonderful .pdf file with information, recipes, and crafts.

Although in the back of my mind I knew St. George's feast day was tomorrow, I hadn't really put together some firm ideas for my son and I to celebrate. We have lots of other busy plans, but we definitely need to fit in one of his favorite soldier saints. I know once we start talking and reading about St. George, some Playmobil knights are going to action!

Enjoy remembering the Bard and St. George! Pin It

0 comments:

Post a Comment