Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Skillet Lasagna

January 31st marks the Feast of St. John Bosco.  My family will be celebrating with an Italian Dinner and Movie Night in his honor... I plan on making homemade bread sticks and Skillet Lasagna, just like we did last year.

The Skillet Lasagna is really easy and can be made in less than 30 minutes, start to finish!  I've also prepared it with other types of pasta (ie: penne, bow tie) in the past, which tastes yummy too.  Enjoy!



1 jar (24 - 26 oz) marinara sauce
3 cups water
8 oz lasagna noodles
1 lb hot Italian turkey sausage (casings removed)
2 garlic cloves, pressed
2 oz Parmesan cheese
2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley, divided
1 cup fresh ricotta cheese
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
Additional grated Parmesan cheese (optional)

1. Combine sauce and water in 12" Skillet. Cover; bring to a boil.

2. Meanwhile, wrap noodles in clean kitchen towel and break crosswise into quarters. Stir noodles into sauce. Cover; reduce heat and simmer 16 - 18 minutes or until noodles are tender, stirring occasionally.

3. As noodles cook, place sausage into 10" skillet; cook and stir over medium-high heat 6 - 8 minutes or until sausage is no longer pink, breaking into crumbles. Add pressed garlic; cook 1 minute. Remove from heat. Stir sausage into noodles and sauce.

4. Meanwhile, grate Parmesan cheese. Chop parsley; set aside about 1 Tbsp parsley for garnish. Combine cheeses, remaining parsley and black pepper in bowl. Scoop cheese mixture over noodles. Cover skillet and simmer gently 3 - 5 minutes or until cheese is melted and ricotta mixture is heated through.

5. To serve, sprinkle lasagna with reserved parsley and additional Parmesan cheese, if desired.

(Makes 6 servings)

St. John Bosco, pray for us! 
Pin It

5 comments:

  1. Yum! We'll have to try this on Saturday ... thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lasagna, in a skillett?! My family loves lasagna, but who has time to make a traditional layered lasagna from scratch?! You're a life saver, Jessica, thank you!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your very welcome! I hope you both enjoy it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! Looks great! I'd make this on the 31st except that we are just finishing up a huge batch of pasta I made a few days ago! But I'll keep the link for the future . . . the priests at our church in San Francisco were Salesians so I have a special place in my heart for St. John Bosco, after I learned about him through them!

    Best,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made this with cottage cheese (just pureed slightly in my food processer) and small noodles. My boys LOVED it.

    ReplyDelete