Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Mexican Sopapias For St Juan Diego or Our Lady of Guadalupe

I actually first made this recipe a very, very, long time ago. I was in 9th grade and had to bring a dish from another country for some class and I picked Mexico. Little did I know I'd be using it to teach my children some day so many years later!
My recipe spells the word this way: Sopapias, but I've seen it spelled as Sopaipillas, I think they are the same, Mexican fry bread.

Sopapias
4 cups flour
1 1/4 tsp salt
3 tsp baking powder
4-5 Tablespoons sugar
2 Tablespoons shortening
1 1/4 cups milk (or more if needed, I needed)
Oil (for frying)
Powdered sugar (for coating)

In large bowl, mix dry ingredients. Cut shortening into dry mixture with fork. Add milk, mix well. Here you will need to add more milk if you can't get the dough to form a ball. Next form the ball and cover bowl and let stand 30-60 minutes.

On a well floured surface, roll dough to thickness of 1/4 inch and cut into squares or whatever shape you'd like I guess, but I always do little squares.

Heat oil in pan and place dough shapes in the oil. Cook until brown on both sides, constantly flipping and checking. (I heat it to a med/high temp) The shapes will puff a little.

Drain on papertowel or paper bag and coat with powdered sugar. (I put powdered sugar in a baggie and shake the bread to coat) The kids really loved this recipe and it was really fun to make it again for my own children. We had the leftovers today for breakfast and for snack!!
Since we made these Sopapias for the feast of St Juan Diego, on Friday we will make Mexican Crispas, which are just flour tortillas cut with a pizza cutter into triangles and fried the same way as these Sopapias then covered in cinnamon and sugar alongside of cheese tortillas!
Happy Feast days!

Pin It

3 comments:

  1. Oh!! Those look SO yummy Jamie!! Thank you so much for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, this looks so good! Reminds me of the beignets at Cafe du Monde in New Orleans!

    ReplyDelete