Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Cherry Cheese Coffee Cake for Christmas


I wanted to take a second, even though it is already Christmas Eve, to share one of our favorite recipes for Christmas morning. It is very simple to put together, looks very festive, and tastes delicious! We have been making it for years, and I'll be putting another together tonight to pop in the oven as soon as we get home from Mass in the morning. I hope you all have a very Blessed Christmas!

Cherry Cheese Coffee Cake
Source: Pampered Chef

Ingredients: 

Cake & Filling
  • 2 (8 oz. each) pkgs. refrigerated crescent rolls
  • 8 oz. cream cheese
  • 1/4 cup powdered sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 tsp. vanilla or almond extract
  • 21 oz. can cherry pie filling
Glaze
  • 1/2 cup powdered sugar
  • 2-3 teaspoons milk

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. 
  2. Unroll crescent dough and arrange 12 of the triangles in a circle with wide ends toward the outside edge of the Large Round Stone - the points will not meet in the center. 
  3. Lightly flour and roll out the seams making a 14" circle with a 3" hole in the center. 
  4. Combine the cream cheese, powdered sugar, egg & vanilla and spread over dough. Top with pie filling. 
  5. Cut each of the 4 remaining triangles into thirds (starting at the wide end opposite the point and cutting lengthwise to the point). Arrange over filling evenly in spoke-like pattern. Press ends to seal at center and outer edges. 
  6. Bake 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool slightly. 
  7. Mix powdered sugar and milk until glaze consistency and drizzle over coffee cake.

UPDATE:  You can also turn the above recipe into 2 Candy Cane Coffee Cakes, using 3 cans of crescent rolls instead of two.   I made the bottom of each candy cane with 1 1/4 pkgs. of crescent rolls, using the remaining 1/4 package to cut strips to lay over the top. I topped each candy cane with half of the cream cheese mixture and half of the pie filling.  You can see additional pictures over on my other blog.



Pin It

21 comments:

  1. That sounds like a delicious way to celebrate Jesus' birth! Permit me a question (and I don't mean to sound like a doubting Thomas, honest) - I've always read that crescent roll dough and other "canned" breads should be baked within 2 hours because when you open them, you activate the leavening or some such. You must not notice any difference in quality though?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lenetta, I didn't know that! I never have noticed a difference, though most years I end up putting it together in the morning (it really doesn't take long - 5 to 10 minutes max). However, I don't remember a problem the last time I made it the night before. Maybe since it is used as a crust instead of rolls? Anyhow, I just might wait till morning now ;) Have a wonderful Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. can you use pie crust instead of crescent rolls?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not sure, I've never tried that before... If you do, let us know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Should this be stored in the fridge?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I've always stored ours in the fridge.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made the Candy Cane version...it was so fun to make.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, this looks delicious...and easy too! I just pinned it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I made this using crescent rolls like recipe calls for. Came out spectacular. We did apple & cherry filling. This time we are going to try making it with puff pastry cut in squares and put in muffin tins for bite size little cherry coffee cakes...mmmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  10. Do you have to use the stone to bake it? Wonder if a round baking pan would do?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, any 16" or larger round baking pan would work just fine. You may need to reduce the baking time by a couple minutes for a metal pan.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sweet roll dough might be good, too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love cheese cake! Will definitely try this Christmas morning.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Made this today for the first time, delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Does anyone have a recipe for using canned fruit pie filling and a cake mix that you cook in a crock pot? I really would like to try making something close to this. Please help me out at webcats34@yahoo.com. Thank you in advance. Have a wonderful day :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Merry Christmas!! I'm making this again. This time one strawberry and one blueberry danish. My family looks forward to these every year. Thanks again for the great recipe and thorough directions

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have been making this for years. I have even made it for Valentine's Day. Instead of putting the strips of crescent rolls as "spokes", cut remaining dough into small hears and place on top of cherry filling. Beautiful and festive and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  18. So I don't know active this blog is anymore, but I wanted to share this with you. I found your recipe about 10 years ago. My husband and loved it and my 3 year old cried because it didn't taste like a candy cane, haha! But I make it every year and now my entire family looks forward to it and loves it so much!! So thank you for being a part of our Christmas morning tradition.

    ReplyDelete