Wednesday, December 1, 2010

St. Nicholas Chocolate Coins

I just finished adding this post to my other blog, Shower of Roses, but thought I would share it with you all here at Catholic Cuisine as well!


Every year on the feast of St. Nicholas, we give our children Gold Coins, Holy Cards, and a yearly "note from St. Nicholas" telling the children what they need to work on between now and Christmas.

For the past few years I have wanted to order the beautiful St. Nicholas chocolates I have seen online, but just haven't been able to spend the money (It all goes towards books, if you hadn't noticed! lol!)  and have settled for repackaging the dollar bags of chocolates from the local grocery store.  (You can see an example in last years post for the Feast of St. Nicholas.) 

I passed on ordering them once again this year, but decided to come up with my own alternative.  I am so excited!!!


I cropped some of our favorite images of St. Nicholas to fit on the face of the large 1 1/2" Chocolate Coins (The bags of coins are available for $1.00 per bag at many grocery stores, including the Dollar Store,  or you can purchase a 12 pack for $12.18 at Amazon right now.), created a word document with all the images adding an optional border to the images, cut them all out, and then glued them to the front of the coins.


Didn't they turn out pretty?!?

I thought I would share my document with you all as an early Christmas Present in case any of you would like to do the same for your children.


Making these really got my mind spinning with all the variations I could make so I called Hubby and asked him to bring home a few more bags of coins!

So, as a bonus, here are a few other documents I created.  Yes, I stayed up WAY too late! ;)

 






I made our Jesse Tree Coins using the smaller 1" coins.   These would be a great alternative for ornaments (to go along with the readings and coloring pages) for a Jesse Tree if you attached a small piece of ribbon to hang them with and then they could be enjoyed on Christmas!   I think I will add the set I made to this year's Jesse Tea.

NOTE:  For 1" Coins, just use the above documents printed at 70%!

I hope some of you are able to use this idea!  As always you are more than welcome to link to this post, but I do ask that, if you do, you link directly here and not to the documents at Scribd.  That way, if the documents ever need to be moved, your links won't be broken. Also, I always ask that my pictures are not reposted elsewhere without prior permission, but in this case, I will allow the one picture at the very top of the post to be shared if you wish.  Thank you for your consideration in this, we so appreciate all of our dear visitors here at Catholic Cuisine!

I hope your Advent is off to a very blessed start!

Pin It

24 comments:

  1. I just texted hubby to bring some home when he picks up cereal and milk on his way home! What a fantastic gift of these documents. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my favorite idea EVER for St. Nick's Day! Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. very cool! I have been getting some great St Nicholas Day ideas! This will be our first year celebrating it! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW!!! Absolutely brilliant! I have six bags waiting...woohoo!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So wonderful, Jessica! I'm still looking for a way to make my own coins so they are allergy friendly...but I can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you everyone! I'm glad you all like them! :-)

    Jenn ~ Would these coins work for your boys? I recently ran across this website while searching for something and your comment made me remember them... I can't remember what exactly your boys are allergic to, but it would be so neat if you could find some that would work!! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing your brilliant ideas. Can I print the pictures of St. Nick? How can I do it without going to scribd?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, to print the pictures just click the link to Scribd and you should be able to print or download the document. If you have any problems email me your address and I can send it to you directly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an awesome idea! Thanks so much for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. thank you!
    i am getting the bags ready for the school kids at our Catholic school next week. This will enhance the coins!.
    God bless you this Advent and always.
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  11. We're okay with peanuts, thank God, but I need milk free chocolate -- in other words, dark chocolate coins. I didn't order from the Orthodox place this year in time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a cute idea! This is our first year marking St. Nicholas Day, so we have been on the hunt for ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jessica, these are AMAZING! I am so excited about these!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are BRILLIANT!! What a FANTASTIC idea!!

    I can't WAIT to use some of these - thank you SO MUCH for sharing your docs! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are SO WONDERFUL to let us have these! Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. SO fun! Thanks to Lacey at Catholic Icing for the heads up on this fun project!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you Jessica for these print outs for the coins! I found your link on Lacy's Catholic Icing facebook page and linked up to your blog post on my St. Nick blog post here: http://asliceofsmithlife.blogspot.com/2010/12/happy-saint-nicholas-feast-day.html

    Happy St. Nicholas Feast Day everyone!
    Tracy at "A Slice of Smith Life"

    ReplyDelete
  18. These are just amazing. I need to spend more time looking at all of them! God bless you for sharing your gifts with us, Jessica. Your creativity is truly a gift to praise God for!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Jessica, I stumbled upon this post even though I'm familiar with both of your blogs. You're amazingly talented and generous of heart to share your gifts with us! May God bless you and may you have a Blessed Advent Season!

    ReplyDelete
  20. so lovely, Jessica!

    and thank you for the helpful hint about reducing the size to fit smaller chocolates...just right!

    happy saint nicolas day.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you for your gift of the documents.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you SO MUCH for sharing! This is awesome!

    ReplyDelete