Monday, December 6, 2010

Cherry Angel Bread



We made this bread for breakfast for the feast of St. Nicholas.
I found the recipe in my Pillsbury Holiday magazine.

As I type this, I've realized I forgot to do the frosting. (oops!)
You will need:
1 can refrigerated crescent rolls
1/2 cup pineapple cream cheese spread (from 8 oz container)
2 Tbsp sugar
1 egg, separated
1/2 cup drained, chopped cherry pie filling
1 Tbsp water
1 tsp sugar

Heat oven to 375 degrees.
Spray cookie sheet with nonstick spray. Unroll dough onto cookie sheet forming 13x7 rectangle. Firmly press perforations to seal.
In medium bowl, beat cream cheese and 2 Tbsp sugar with electric mixer on medium speed til well blended. Beat in egg yolk. With spoon, stir in cherries. Spoon mixture lengthwise down center of dough rectangle in 2 1/2 inch wide strip. With scissor, cut 1 inch wide strips on each side of cream cheese filling to within 1/2 inch of filling. Alternately cross strips over filling.
beat egg white and water and brush over dough. (discard any remaining) sprinkle with 1 tsp sugar.
Bake 17-22 minutes until golden brown. Cool 5 minutes.

Glaze (which I forgot)
1/3 cup powdered sugar
1/4 tsp almond extract
1-2 tsp milk
Stir together and drizzle over warm braid. Store in refrigerator, if any left!
My kiddos loved even without the drizzled frosting!


Pin It

2 comments:

  1. That sounds delicious! We made a Candy Cane Coffee Cake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does sound delicious! I'm enjoying seeing all the variety for this favorite feast day!

    ReplyDelete