Saturday, October 17, 2009

All Saints' Day Treats ~ St. Lucy Cupcakes



I'm always on the lookout for food saint ideas for All Saint's Day parties, so here's something I came up with for St. Lucy.

St. Lucy is populary know as the patroness of eye ailments. This is because among other tortures that she suffered for being a Christian, her eyes were torn out. Legend has it that her sight was returned to her before she died.

I thought it would be fun for our All Saint's Day party to make some St. Lucy eyeball cupcakes, and share the idea with all of you!

How to Make Them:

All you do is make your favorite cupcake recipe, and ice them with white icing. Then use blue icing to make a circle on the cupcake, and stick an upside-down chocolate chip in the middle for the pupil. Leave one of them white for display, and cut a slit in the middle of the cupcake so you can insert a St. Lucy holy card. If your holy card isn't laminated, cover it in some packing tape before inserting into the cupcake.

St. Lucy is often depicted with a palm branch to symbolize her martyrdom, so I also stuck a palm branch into my cupcake holder for display. I got my palm branch at the Dollar Tree.


This post was written by a Catholic mother, at The Masked Mommy, and submitted for publication here at Catholic Cuisine. Thank you for sharing!

Pin It

10 comments:

  1. +JMJ+

    How cute! They remind me of a peacock's tail, too. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. very cool. my little st. lucy is all over this idea for our All Saints celebration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great! These would be wonderful for a gruesome treat for Halloween too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are a really great idea, I hope I can make some of these for Nov 1!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for letting me post my idea here! I love having so many fun Catholic ideas all available in one place! Thanks for putting this site together for all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My 11-year boy loves this!! Thanks for the great idea for our All Saints' party!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic idea for All Saints' and Hallowe'en! Here's another recipe for eyeball cupcakes: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Eyeball-Cupcakes-232942 It was originally published in the cookbook "Hey There Cupcake!" They really look like they're "ailing."

    But, something tells me I won't be making either one for on December 13th...Lussekatter and pepparkakor all the way! (I love St. Lucia! I guess it's the Swede in me.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Neat idea. But in Sicilian tradition, we don't eat anything made with wheat flour on December 13. It is in remembrance of how St. Lucy's intercession answered starving Sicilians prayers by sending a ship full of grain on December 13. The people were so overjoyed -- and hungry -- they didn't grind the wheat into flour, they boiled it whole into a porridge. We couldn't get whole wheat berries here in USA, so our family served instead polenta topped with a meatless tomato sauce and good pecorino romano.

    ReplyDelete