Friday, June 19, 2009

Sacred Heart Cheesecake

During these hot summer months, I am loath to turn on my oven for any long periods of time and everyone prefers to eat whatever is cool and fresh from the fridge. This is a creamy lemon cheesecake that I always make in a heart shape because that is the way my mother-in-law first served it to me. We decorated it to look like the sacred heart using mini chocolate chips, orange and yellow sugar and junior mints for the cross. Miniature candy bars might have worked better but this was all I had. The recipe is below:

Creamy Lemon Cheesecake

1 pkg. Duncan Hines Deluxe Lemon cake mix
2pkg. 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
8 oz. sour cream
1/2 c. sugar
1/3 C. oil
3 eggs

Measure 1C. dry cake mix; set aside. Combine remaining mix with 1 egg and oil. Press into bottom of greased pan(s). Bake @ 350 for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, combine reserved mix, 2 eggs and remaining ingredients. Beat at low speed for 2 minutes. Spread over crust. Bake at 350 about 35 mintues longer. Cool and chill. Top with whipped cream.

This made one heart shaped cake and one 8 inch round cake which we shared with our neighbors. It can also be made in a 9x13 inch pan. Pin It

6 comments:

  1. I have a weakness for cheesecake and this lemon one sounds especially good. It is really clever, too - I wouldn't have thought of making a different shape. Can you help me though with info about how you get it out of the pan intact. I've never made a cheesecake without it being in a springform pan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmmm. I've never had a problem with this one. I use Baker's Joy on the pan and then either flip it our quickly onto my hand and then onto a cooling rack or use a long thin metal spatula to help lift it up. It's a pretty firm little cake. Sometimes a little bit of the top skin will stick to my hand when I flip it, but since I always cover it with whipped cream, I don't worry about how that looks. Does that help at all?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful idea! Thanks so much for sharing it. I can not wait to bake one myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, that does help. Seems the recipe might have a different consistency than one's I've done. I'm going to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Many, many delicious looking cakes lately on catholic cuisine, I love this recipes, wonderful resource this blog!

    Divine Office Podcast

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is WONDERFUL!!!
    Thanks SO MUCH for sharing!

    ReplyDelete