Baptism of the Lord River Jordan Dessert
- 1 quart pineapple sherbet or vanilla ice cream
- 8 oz whipped topping like Cool Whip
- 2 tablespoons graham cracker crumbs
- 1 pint fresh blueberries
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 2-3 individual madeleine cookies (flavored or plain)
- blue food coloring
1. Soften frozen ice cream or sherbet and spread in an 8x8 glass pan. Stir in blue food coloring and refreeze. "water"
2. Once ice cream has frozen, spread whipped topping across the top. Return to freezer or go ahead and decorate now.
3. Sprinkle graham cracker crumbs on the corners to create the "sand", leaving a space in the middle.
4. Dot blueberries through the middle path to create the "River Jordan". Sprinkle white sugar on top of the blueberries.
5. Break madeleine cookies in half to push in the "sand" to make the "shells".
Serve immediately (can be frozen, but blueberries will freeze).
Note: Traditionally, the Feast of the Baptism of the Lord is celebrated on January 13, the octave day of Epiphany. In the current liturgical calendar, the Baptism of the Lord is celebrated on the Sunday after January 6, which will fall on January 10, 2016.