Saturday, October 1, 2011

Heavenly Rose Garden Tea Sandwiches


Today we had a lovely afternoon Tea Party in honor of St. Therese.   I will have to come back later to share pictures since we are about to have a family movie night, watching Miracle of St. Therese, but I wanted to share these yummy sandwiches that I came up with, as a healthy addition (and alternative for me, since I am trying to avoid most sweets) to our tea party treats.


Heavenly Rose Garden Tea Sandwiches
 for St. Therese

Ingredients/Supplies:

Favorite Sandwich Bread
Garden Vegetable Cream Cheese (or Hummus)
Tomatoes
Basil Leaves
Round Cookie Cutter
Sharp knife

I choose the delicious bread we have been getting from Costco lately... How can you go wrong with one that says "Heavenly texture and Saintly Flavor" on the package! ;) 


Directions:

I did a quick online search for tomato roses and came up with several videos showing how to make a rose from a tomato. It is really quite easy: just peel it in one long spiral and roll the desired length into the shape of a rose.

I then cut a circle out of each slice of bread. Then spread a nice thick layer of Garden Vegetable Cream Cheese to the top. Hummus would actually be a nice alternative as well, for anyone that can not have dairy! I then just added the tomato rose to the top along with a couple of freshly picked basil leaves from our garden.

Not only did they turn out pretty, they tasted heavenly and were the perfect addition to our "Shower of Roses Tea!"


St. Therese, the Little Flower, 
please pick me a rose from the heavenly garden 
and send it to me with a message of love. 
Ask God to grant me the favor I thee implore 
and tell him I will love him each day more and more.

St. Therese, the Little Flower, 
Pray for us! 

Pin It

4 comments:

  1. Those sandwiches are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a wonderful idea! I love that these are still fun and beautiful without being sugary!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So wonderful and simple! I will definitely try these next year. I'm always looking for feast day treats that are savory rather than sweet. (Not that I don't also like sweets!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are lovely. Merry Christmas to you and yours. :)

    ReplyDelete