Thursday, March 31, 2011

A Lamb Shaped Cake for Easter


You still have time to order a lamb shaped cake pan, if you'd like to make this cake for Easter and still need the pan!

Last year I purchased a Nordic Ware 3-D Spring Lamb Cake Mold, to use for our Easter Cake, and it turned out so cute!  I just used a boxed pound cake mix, and made sure to grease and flour the pan really well, and thankfully had no complications removing the lamb from the pan.



 Lamb Cake served with Fresh Strawberries and Whipped Cream

Here are the Preparation, Baking and Decorating Instructions from NordicWare, for any of you that may have the pan, but are missing the directions:  

Preheat oven to 375˚F.  Generously grease inside of the molds (top and bottom halves) with solid vegetable shortening.   Dust with flower.  Pour prepared batter in bottom half of mold (approximately 3 cups).   Place top mold over bottom half, interlocking seams.  (Top half has vent holes to permit steam to escape.)   Place mold on cookie sheet and bake 375˚F for 45-55 minutes, or until cake tests done.  (Test with toothpick through vent hole.)  Remove mold from oven.  Cool 5 minutes.   Turn mold before standing in upright position.  Trim bottom of cake if surface is not flat.  Place a dab of icing on plate and stand mold in upright position.  Frost with fluffy icing and decorate with jelly beans, raisins, cherries, or chocolate chips for the eyes and nose.   (Best results cool cake in refrigerator or freezer before frosting, this makes a firmer surface for icing.)  To enhance this delightful cake mold, place green tinted coconut around base of lamb; add jelly beans and a colorful bow at the neck.  

* Pound cake mixes (16 oz. size) can be used in molds.  Mix per directions on package.
* If using regular cake mixes (pudding added) decrease liquid by 1/4 cup.  Use excess batter for cupcakes. 


If you end up making this cake, be sure to take pictures to share since we will be hosting another "Celebrating Easter" link up on Easter Monday!  

Pin It

8 comments:

  1. Oh, my goodness! I have one of those pans from my late mother. She would use a cake mix, like you do, white frosting with coconut all over. I would cut up black jelly beans for the eyes, a pink one for the nose and a sliver of a red one for his little mouth.

    I would rather make a scratch cake, but don't know how much to put in. You've brought back a nice memory!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your mother's idea of using the jelly beans for the eyes, nose and mouth. Very cute!

    I just pulled out the instruction book that came with my cake pan and it says that you fill the bottom half of the mold with the prepared batter - about 3 cups. It also says that if you are using a regular cake mix (pudding added) to decrease the liquid by 1/4 cup.

    I think that the pound cake is dense enough to prevent it from falling apart without any modifications. Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went ahead and updated the post with the complete directions from my Instruction Manual. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I'm so excited! I ordered my pan from Nordic and got it today!! I was a little surprised that you put batter only in one half but I suppose that makes sense. The batter will rise as it makes, then?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, the batter will rise and fill in the other half of the pan as the cake bakes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lamb cake! Lamb cake! We have it every year... thanks for the lovely reminder :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you....thank you so much for this!!!

    KM

    ReplyDelete