Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Annunciation Blueberry Oatmeal Coffee Cake

The Solemnity of the Annunciation of the Lord
March 25, 2011
"He chose the mother He had created; He created the mother He had chosen."
~St. Augustine~
Here is a recipe in honor of Mary's "Yes" to God on the Solemnity of the Annunciation of the Lord. What a beautiful day to celebrate the Incarnation of Our Savior, the Word made flesh, in the womb of  His Mother.  We recall Our Lady's profound Yes to God's will..."Let it be done to me according to thy word,"  and renew our own Yes to God's will in our lives.

Annunciation Blueberry Oatmeal Coffee Cake
Adapted from Allrecipes
We chose something blueberry (and something fairly healthy) in honor of Our Blessed Mother and the color blue that represents her.  The round pan symbolizes eternity and the slices are cut in triangles to represent the trinity, fully present at the miraculous moment of the Annunciation.

1 1/3 C all-purpose flour (or substitute whole wheat flour)
3/4 C quick cooking oats
1/3 C sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 C milk
1/4 C canola oil (we substitute applesauce)
1/4 C light sour cream
1 C fresh or frozen blueberries
Streusal Topping
(I doubled this for our topping and opted out of the cinnamon)
1/4 C quick cooking oats
3 Tbsp. all purpose flour
3 Tbsp. brown sugar
2 Tbsp. butter
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon (optional)

In a large bowl, combine all the dry ingredients, stir; In separate bowl, combine egg, vanilla, milk, oil, and sour cream.  Add to dry ingredients and stir just until moistened.  Fold in blueberries.  Pour into a greased 9 inch round baking pan.  For the topping:  Mix oats, flour, and sugar.  Cut in butter until mixture is crumbly.  Sprinkle on top of batter.  Bake at 400 degrees approximately 25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clear.  If you like a little breakfast sweet (but not too sweet), and the combination of moist, crunchy, and a bit healthy, this is a coffee cake for you.  I'm taking one to my Friday bible study!
Here are the trinity slices...
We added our "Yes" to God as a good visual for our children!
Annunciation Prayer
Lord Jesus, who was kind enough to take the presence in a humble virgin,
kindly live in us and redeem us from the strong bondage of sin and death.
Lord make us good and worthy divine homes, so that you can dwell in us.
Peace be unto thee, Mother of the Sun of righteousness.
Peace be unto thee the ship full of blessings, the fruit of your virginity is blessed,
Holy Mother, please pray for us, so that we would also be holy like you in our lives.
Lord have mercy on us.  Amen.

"She (Mother Mary) is an echo of God, speaking and repeating only God.  If you say "Mary" she says "God." 
~St. Louis de Montfort~

Pin It

7 comments:

  1. I stumbled upon this blog recently by way of the Catholic Foodie. I can see I've got some reading (and baking) ahead of me. That coffee cake looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for this website! I've been looking for something like this for a long time so I have traditions for Feast days with my family for as long back as they remember. Keep up the great work!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great! I was looking for something that was do-able...I think I can handle this recipe! I'll let you know how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautiful idea. thanks Tiffany.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Where can I get that beautiful statue of Mary!?!? I have three busts of her, but I LOVE the full length statue that you have! (Is envy ok when it's for a statue of Mary?!?!LOL!!;>)) Ok, no, but....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Juliette~ The statue is made by Delft of Holland. I found it at a local gift store a few years ago. I haven't seen it there since or online. Since I've had a few inquiries, I will try to check with the business owner. God Bless!

    ReplyDelete