Friday, April 10, 2009

A Simple Lamb Cake for Easter

I have always wanted to bake a lamb shaped cake (like Jenn's!) for Easter. However, every year I forget to order a cake mold until it is too late. (I've never had any luck finding one locally either...)

Well, the other day, I ran across these directions online, for this fairly simple Lamb shaped cake, which doesn't require a mold! Isn't it cute?!? It reminds me of the Lamb Cupcakes we've made a few times.

Lamb Cake
Recipe and Picture from Family Fun

RECIPE INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 baked dome cake (baked in a 1-liter bowl, such as Pyrex)
  • 1 baked 9" round cake
  • 3 baked cupcakes
  • 2 to 3 cups white icing
  • 1 cup chocolate icing
  • 3-1/2 cups mini marshmallows
  • 2 Jujyfruit candies (eyes)
  • 1 nonpareil (nose)
  • Red shoestring licorice (mouth)

DIRECTIONS:

1. For the basic shape, set a dome cake upside down in the center of a round cake and secure with icing.

2. Cut one cupcake in half and place it for the ears, then arrange two more cupcakes as legs.

3. Frost the cakes (except for a triangular face area), the outsides of the ears, and the top halves of the hooves with the white icing, then cover with mini marshmallows.

4. Use a pastry bag (or a plastic bag with one corner cut off) to pipe small dollops of chocolate icing onto the face, bottom halves of the hooves, and centers of the ears. Decorate as shown.


Here's another idea for decorating an Easter Cake:

The other night, when I was out running a few errands, I noticed these cute little white chocolate lambs at Target, and thought the larger one might look darling sitting on top of a round cake, with a chocolate Cross! It would be very easy to make, and I think my children would love it. We'll see! Pin It

5 comments:

  1. So cute! I'm glad you posted instructions. I was thinking the same thing, that there must be a way to make one without a mold. We're probably just making allergy safe lamb cupcakes this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One year I bought one of those beautiful white chocolate crosses to save for a First Holy Communion cake in May, and when I retrieved it from its "hiding place" the day before the event, someone had taken a big bite out of it! Ooooh, I was mad! But, now it's a memory! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey cool, im going to be in a cake contest and this was one of my 4 choices, so my friend thought is was super cute, so then i sent her this link! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello I am wanting to make the lamb cake this Easter it is so ridiculously cute! However can anybody offer me a little help on how to make the bowl part of the cake? I am not nearly as creative as you all!

    ReplyDelete