Monday, January 31, 2011

An Afternoon Tea for Candlemas

The Feast of the Purification is also called Candlemas or Candle Mass Day. It is observed each year on February 2nd. This feast commemorates the purification of the Blessed Virgin Mary and the presentation of Christ in the temple, which took place 40 days after his birth as Jewish law required. It is also called Candlemas day, since the blessing of candles takes place on this feast.   Last year my family enjoyed a lovely afternoon tea, inspired by Alice at Cottage Blessings on this feast day.

   Here are a few pictures of what was included in our tea, 
while we read from the Gospel of Luke (2:22-40): 

~ White Cocoa with Pure Hearts ~
For this tea, I decided to serve White Cocoa topped with Whipped Cream and Strawberry Marshmallow hearts (instead of tea), representing the purity of both Mary and St. Joseph.


~ Water ~ 
With a pair of turtledoves perched on the handle!


~ A Pair of Turtledoves ~
Using a lovely Tasha Tudor Dove Cookie Cutter (a gift from my sister-in-law), I made Dove Shaped PB&J Sandwiches.


~ Holy Simeon's Arms ~
These mini pretzel's symbolize arms folded in prayer.


~ Piercing Swords ~

I couldn't seem to find the cocktail swords that I know I have around here somewhere, but swords can always be found in my boys bedroom! ;)


~ Anna the Prophetess ~ 

Since I didn't want to go to the store to search for the Mallomars that Alice suggested, especially since I was already serving plenty of cookies, Captain suggested using Black Olives. (The black symbolizes the fact that Anna was a widow.)


~ Edible Candles ~
These were really quite easy and fun to make, not to mention delicious! 



All-powerful Father, Christ your Son became man for us and was presented in the temple. May he free our hearts from sin and bring us into your presence. We ask this through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.
Pin It

2 comments:

  1. These are wonderful ideas. And your blog looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was perfect for our snow day today :) I made soft pretzels to go with our candle cookies. We just had water to drink, since I didn't have any white cocoa. I did happen to have the marshmallow hearts on hand, so those got added into the mix. The kids loved to poke their "swords" (aka frilled toothpicks) into the cheese and olives! Unfortunately everyone was so hungry I didn't get any pictures of the table before it was empty!

    ReplyDelete